Haiti Bound



I shouldn’t be sitting on the airplane I’m writing this post from. Katie and I were in the car en route to Baltimore airport for our 8pm flight when we got the call that our flight had been cancelled. Things to this point had been going along perfectly, almost too perfectly, and we had been awaiting a roadblock. But even with that, we had a hard time calming the anxiety while the American Airlines rep told us they couldn’t find a replacement flight that would get us to our connection in Miami. And if we didn’t make it to Miami, we would miss the ride waiting for us in Haiti to take us home. The entire time we were on hold we continued driving, praying that we were going in the right direction.

After a lengthy hold, she found a flight for one of us, but there was only one seat left on the plane.  We couldn’t go without two seats and it was clear she didn’t have much hope of finding another ticket. Finally, after almost two hours of waiting, we were both able to get a seat on a flight from Washington D.C. to Miami at the same time. So we thanked God for the new flight, and for the fact that we had driven the past hours in the right direction, and continued on. It wasn’t until we got to the airport that we realized how blessed we actually were; that there had been an air traffic control issue earlier in the day, and every flight since 10am had been delayed or cancelled. We had gotten two of the last seats on the only flight going to Miami from the entire East Coast today, and those seats were together and allowed us to bring all 8 of the suitcases we had packed full of school supplies. 

Though it may be from a different airport, on a different flight, I am blessed beyond measure to be starting my journey to my new home in Haiti tonight, and I can’t help but admire what a clear example it is of all that this last year has been for me; constantly running full speed in a direction, praying that it’s the right one. 

After years of dreaming about returning to Haiti, I decided one year ago to follow the call God had laid on my heart and move to Gonaives to teach at Jubilee School. That decision led to an incredible year of preparation, spiritual growth, and blessing beyond measure. The outpouring of support I received, whether financial, spiritual, or emotional, was far beyond what I could have ever anticipated. I have been blessed with countless friends and family that have taught me what it looks like to truly, deeply care for others, and this year I felt the immense power of that type of love.  I am truly grateful for each of you more than you could ever know; you have gotten me to this point. 

Everything has fallen into place over the past year. I am fully funded to teach for a year, I have a home and community waiting to welcome me in Jubilee, and I am making this journey to Haiti with Katie, my future roommate, incredible friend, and constant support. After four amazing years in Pittsburgh, I’ve said see you later to the city and people I love, and here I am; running full speed towards Haiti, with a heart on fire for God, praying that I’m running in the right direction.

Thank you to those of you that stuck with me through this incredibly long first post, I can’t promise the next one will be shorter, but I can promise it will be soon.

Popular Posts