The Blessing of a Broken Down Truck

Last Saturday at 4am I piled in the back of a very large truck with some friends and began the three hour journey to Port au Prince. We were going to take Katie’s visiting sister to the airport, but while there would run some errands, including a real grocery store - the main attraction for the trip.

After finishing a few hours worth of errands in the city we started back home, when in the middle of a very busy hill our truck made a cringe-worthy sound bringing our trip to a quick stop. None of us were too worried, but we also know it didn't look great. As this realization started to set in, with the oppressive heat and forceful passersby, just minutes after stopping, some good friends of our community who live in Port happened to pass us and stop to help. They gave us a ride and towed the truck back to their large guest house, and spoiled us with food, good company, and two fantastically large dogs while the truck was being fixed. 

I was already feeling blessed beyond measure by God’s placement of friends in our moment of need, when I remembered that a friend of mine was also staying in Port au Prince filming a documentary for a week. After messaging her to see about meeting for dinner, since we were already stranded, she insisted I stay the night with her in Le Plaza hotel. Waiting for her to finish filming, I got a hot shower, cold (AC) room, TV, and a beautiful sanctuary from the usual chaos that is life in Haiti. 


I felt so spoiled by the unexpected pampering, and got to spend some quality time with an exceptional friend. I’d only been back in country for a week since Christmas, but after the start of school I hadn’t realized how desperately I already wished for a day of peace; a momentary break. It is beautiful to me to see the ways in which God knows what I wish for, desire, need, more than even I do, and goes beyond that to orchestrate an unexpected way to provide it. Sometimes I picture our God just sitting behind a game board, moving all the pieces around to gift us with these beautiful little surprises. In this instance, I was very grateful for the beauty I found in our broken down truck, and for a God that works all things together for my good.

Popular Posts