The Time My Momma Came to Haiti

As I've mentioned, the springtime is the best time for visitors. And blessing, blessing, blessing, I was able to have my mom come to see me in April.

On day 1, she withstood 3 hours of my driving (which if you know Haiti, we don't believe in many road rules, so this alone was an achievement), a rainy, muddy walk through Jubilee for our weekly blood pressure patient visits, and much too spicy street food - she even tried the goat! It continued like this all week, me trying to shelter my momma from some of the harsh realities of life here, and her surprising me with her strength and adaptability each time.

Day 2 she decided our preschool rooms needed a bit of color.  So, we went to the hardware store after school, got our paints and brushes, and she spent the remainder of the week gifting us with some incredible murals in 3 different classrooms. In this process, the teacher of our afternoon class for non-school kids in Jubilee easily persuaded her to come teach art to his students.  32 students to be exact, and ones who before this year had never sat in a classroom, now learning art from my sweet, gifted mom. It was a blessing beyond words to see how she excelled at my life here, how she graciously stepped out of her comfort zone time and again, and faced each spontaneous moment head on. What a gift it was to share this life with her for a time.






Popular Posts